The Military and Veterans Committee serves as an advisory committee to University leaders concerning issues and programming related to the military and veteran’s community at the University of Missouri. The Committee develops recommendations for ways to positively improve the educational, family, health, and career support to the University military and veterans community based upon dialogue between departments within the University, state and federal organizations and agencies, and the surrounding business community. The Committee works to create awareness of the issues faced by this population, recommends the development of programs to support veterans and family members, helps connect students, faculty, staff, and alumni to events and organizations related to veterans issues, identifies opportunities to connect the University’s research and engagement mission with veteran and military issues, and provides a forum to University military and veterans for feedback on issues that affect their lives.
Note: The composition of this committee is different than most campus standing committees and includes several members of the broader community (outside the University) that supports veterans and members of the military. An Executive Committee, containing some but not all members of the larger committee, coordinates operations. Each year, the co-chairs will select Executive Committee members from the membership of the full committee.
Full committee members:
- 1 at-large representative (selected by Office of the President)
- 1 faculty member (selected by Faculty Council)
- 1 staff member (selected by Staff Advisory Council)
- 2 undergraduate students (selected by MSA)
- 1 graduate or professional student (selected by GPC)
- 3 student veterans or service members (selected by President, Mizzou Student Veterans Association)
- 1 former student (selected by Mizzou Military Veterans Alumni Association)
- 1 law school faculty or staff member (selected by Dean of Law School)
- 1 admissions professional (selected by Director, Admissions)
- 1 enrollment professional (selected by Vice Provost, Enrollment Management)
- 2 student affairs professionals (selected by Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs)
- 1 athletics professional (selected by Director of Intercollegiate Athletics)
- 1 communications professional (selected by Vice Chancellor for Marketing & Communications)
- 1 health care professional (selected by Chief Executive Office for MU Health Care)
- 1 IT professional (selected by Vice President of Information Technology)
- 1 research professional (selected by Vice Chancellor for Research & Economic Development)
- Director, MU Student Veterans Resource & Support Center
- Director, MU Veterans Clinic
- Commanding Officer, Air Force ROTC (or designee)
- Commanding Officer, Army ROTC (or designee)
- Commanding Officer, Naval ROTC (or designee)
- 1 disabilities professional (selected by the Director, MU Disability Center)
- 1 VA Hospital professional (selected by Director, Harry S. Truman Memorial Hospital)
- 2 University of Missouri Retirees (selected by committee co-chairs)
- 4 community partners (selected by committee co-chairs)
The Director of the MU Veterans Center and a co-chair chosen by the President.
Provided by Student Veterans Resource & Support Center and the Office of the President.
The composition of this committee is different than most campus standing committees and includes several members of the broader community (outside the University) that supports veterans and members of the military.