Ad Hoc Joint Committee on Protests, Public Spaces, Free Speech, and the Press
The Committee will:
- recommend how public spaces can be regulated on campus while protecting safety, free inquiry, and free expression and
- suggest how the University might resolve future conflicts should they arise concerning the use of public spaces on campus.
The primary purpose of the Committee is to help everyone on campus understand their rights and responsibilities with respect to campus protests and the use of public space. In fulfilling its charge, the Committee is advised to examine the events of Fall 2015 in Carnahan Quadrangle to see what lessons can be learned and to consult where appropriate with faculty and staff who are experts in related fields, as well as with relevant campus committees.
Description and Origin
Recent activity on campus has left many students, faculty, and staff unsure of how the University regulates public spaces on campus, especially during protests. In addition, observers statewide and nationwide have questioned whether the University responded appropriately to events this past fall. It is important that the University be well prepared should similar events occur in the future, lest students, faculty, staff, and visitors be placed in harm’s way or subjected to violations of their rights.
Committee's Final Report
On October 28, 2016, the Committee submitted its Final Revised Report to the Chancellor and the Chair of Faculty Council.
- Memorandum Transmitting the Report
- The Recommended Policy
- The Recommended Policy with insertions and deletions made since 5/23/16 identified and visible
- The policy, as approved by Faculty Council
- Letter to Interim Chancellor Hank Foley from FC Chair Ben Trachtenberg
- Recommended Policy with all red-line insertions and deletions accepted
Oct. 5, 2016
- Red-line Version (third revised draft) of 5/23/16 Recommended Policy on Use of University Facilities and Grounds
See memo accompanying 9/16/16 version for further explanation
Oct. 5, 2016
- Red-line Version of 5/23/16 Recommended Policy on Use of University Facilities and Grounds, with 9/16/16 explanatory memo
Sept. 16, 2016
- Red-line Version of 5/23/16 Recommended Policy on Use of University Facilities and Grounds, with 8/31/16 explanatory memo
August 26, 2016
- Recommended Policy on Use of University Facilities and Grounds
May 23, 2016
- Recommended Statement: University of Missouri “Commitment to Free Expression”
March 18, 2016
- Interim Report: Transmittal of Recommended Statement on Free Expression (PDF)
Mar. 9, 2016
- Report to the MU Campus Community
Feb. 2, 2016
- Source materials and reference
E-Mail Comments About the May 23 Recommendation
Comments, suggestions, or recommendations can be made either in the text of the e-mail or in a document attached to your e-mail. A collection of comments and suggestions we have received and responded is available on this site.